Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Why I said yes...

               To the Dress...
               Those that know me know that this is not “Heather.” I can normally can be found wearing a t-shirt and jeans every day of the week. I even, jokingly, told Amanda that I was going to buy one of those t-shirts that look like a tux and wear that on our wedding day.
                I don’t like dresses. Growing up, the last time I remember wearing a dress was when my aunt got married and that was over 20 years ago. I was the type of kid that ran around ripping holes in my jeans from bike-riding or getting dirt on my clothes from fishing.
                Anyways, back on track. When Amanda and I first started talking about what we were going to wear, I was happy with dress pants and a dress shirt. Up until a couple of weeks ago, we even had the outfit all planned. Then things changed.
                Two of Amanda’s friends got married recently in Iowa and they both wore dresses. I saw a few of their pictures and knew I had to come clean. I had been thinking about wearing a dress; however, I had hesitated for a couple of reasons. First, I didn't have anyone to help me pick it out. Daughters normally go with their mothers to pick out their wedding dresses. My mom lives in Minnesota and I'm in Texas. It just isn't feasible. Second, which is the hardest to admit, is that if I wore a dress I would want my dad to walk me down the aisle. I would want that moment that every girl dreams about; the moment when your dad walks you down the aisle and gives you away to the person who you have fallen head over heels in love with. I can’t have this moment because my dad passed away in 1999.
                However, when I saw that picture I turned to Amanda and said, “I want to be a princess.” Her response with a confused look on her face was, “Ah okay.” I think I threw her for a loop there. I then shared with her all my thoughts and hesitations. She, being the loving person that she is, said that I could wear whatever I wanted to wear and I would look beautiful in anything.
                So, on June 14, 2014, I want to feel like a princess. I will wear a dress that Amanda and I have picked out together and she will wear the one her and her mom picked out. Amanda’s dad will walk her down the aisle, and I will be there to become her wife as she becomes mine. We will both stand before our Pastor, our friends, and our families feeling like princesses for a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment