Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What was it?

Someone recently asked me "What was it about Amanda that made you want to date her?" My response, her smile.

I first met Amanda during a informal lunch meet and greet at Perkins School of Theology. I was co-leading a student organization that was open to students/staff/faculty at Perkins who was LGBT/allies/affirming. Amanda walked in, gathered her lunch, and sat beside me. I only had 5 minutes to talk with her because I had to rush off to another meeting. However, those 5 minutes were all I needed. I, feeling awkward and not knowing what to do, reached out my hand to her and shook her hand while introducing myself. She smiled and introduced herself. We chatted for a bit and then I ran off to my next meeting. I still remember that day like it was yesterday.

Her smile still gets me to this day, melting my heart.


Each day I get to see her smile, for whatever reason, brings me joy. I loved each and every single one from the day we first met. However, I most look forward to the ones to come: her smile on our wedding day; her smile on the day I'm ordained; the smile on her face when we find out we are pregnant; her first smile after our child is born; and on and on. 

I cherish each and every smile.


Even the goofy muddy race ones.


I'm glad she smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment